Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Thursday 7 January 2016

The Market (Habana Vieja) Havana

                I love coming to this place in Old Havana...the colours, the people, the activity and I feel safe. That's not to say that you shouldn't be careful and aware of your surroundings but it's highly unlikely (maybe impossible) that something bad is going to happen to you here. Having said that, keep your purse close to you and your money somewhere that's hard to get to. Not too many tourists come here but I did see a guide with a bunch of them on this visit. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to cook and in this particular market you'll find whatever fruits and vegetables are available at that particular time on the island. If it's not here, it's not available anywhere. As well as produce, on one side of this market you'll find the meat market....no beef, only lamb and pork can be found here. A dozen or so butchers have their wares set up and can cut pieces of meat to your specifications. I was told that butchers are rich people in Cuba and they have the luxury of being able to eat meat when they want. By the looks of the gold chains around the neck of one of them I believe it. I come here to shop but it's a great way to see the real Havana and a great way to spend a half an hour and is close to or on the way to all the tourist sites of Old Havana.


Address: corners of  Corrales y Avenida de Belgica (Egido)
Hours:  Mon-Sat  8am-6pm     Sun  8am-2pm


































2 comments: