Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Thursday 18 June 2015

Wifredo Lam Centre of Contemporary Art (Bienal de La Habana) Havana

                     The Wifredo Lam Center is located in Old Havana in an opulent building on the northwest corner of the Plaza de La Catedral next to the Church. It's namesake is that of one of Cuba's most famous modern painters who passed away in 1982 but who left an incredible legacy behind for Cuba and the world to enjoy for decades to come. The house was once 'Casa de los Condes de Peñalver' but since then has served several other purposes such as a bank, a school and even a post office for some time. It was dubbed as it is today in 1983 and has housed some interesting exhibits. It seems to me to be, as it's namesake was, a place where the slightly edgy or different artists can show their works. At least those are my thoughts being that of a person who doesn't understand art. Every time I've found an exhibit here it's been a little on the 'off the wall' kind...as I said, that's my opinion. The Bienal exhibit was no exception with some pretty borderline weird stuff being on display. I didn't take too many pictures because to tell you the truth, I didn't like much of what I saw (I didn't get it). The Mexican tattoo artist was pretty good but most of the other stuff was just strange for my tastes.
                     Having said that, it's worth a visit if just to check out the building itself, a fine example of the extremes of a by-gone era. Please, don't take my word as the truth, everyone has their own opinion on what they like or dislike about art. If you're in Old Havana you're not going out of your way if you visit this building (Gallery) and it's no charge to enter. The Plaza de La Catedral is a must see in my opinion and the building (pinkish colour) sits on one of the corners. I've posted a few pictures of some of the Bienal Art on display when I was there a couple of weeks ago and of some of the interior of the house itself.









 Dr Lakra (Mexico)


 Dr Lakra (Mexico)


 Dr Lakra (Mexico)


 Dr Lakra (Mexico)


 Dr Lakra (Mexico)








Henri Tauliaut (Guadalupe)


Alicia Villarreal (Chile)


Alicia Villarreal (Chile)







No comments:

Post a Comment