Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Monday 23 September 2013

La Escepción Edición Regional Italia 2011 (cigar review) A return visit

                  I tried one of these cigars April-May 2011 even after being told it was too young by my Italian friend who sent it to me. He was correct, it was too young and could still use a little more age. This particular one was sent to me by a friend in Sweden, Box Date Nov.2011. I've always liked this vitola, the Panetela at 38 x 166 (6.5"). 2000 boxes of 25 cigars were made and released for the Italian Distributor in 2011. A porcelain jar (empty) that holds 30 of these cigars is now available though the Italian distributor:  Sigariavana.it 
                 This cigar was hard through the middle with a little resistance around the outside when squeezed. It had a darkish, oily, veinless wrapper with a bumpy cap. Couldn't quite put my finger on any one flavour on the pre-light draw, everything was pretty faint. The first puffs gave me earth and leather, the draw was perfect. This was a medium bodied smoke at this point. The burn was straight then off... A hint of floral fravours creeped in for a puff or two but that was it.
                  By around the first quarter mark the ash had formed a bend and shortly after that it fell on it's own. The flavours had settled in at this point with dark chocolate and roasted coffee bean being the predominant flavours and earth picking up the rear.
                  The flavours didn't change much, pretty consistent up to the half but I felt the draw was being stifled. I flicked the ash and realized it was burning hot through the middle so I touched it up with my torch. The burn had been pretty straight through most of the smoke and was that way now at the half. It started to burn hot through the middle again a little ways down so I fixed it before it went to far.
                   Picked up a little strength at the last third but it didn't last, toned down not long after. The earthiness took over at the last quarter. It went out a couple of times, I had difficulty keeping it lit if I didn't pay attention but it still tasted good. I let it go when I had a hard time holding it and a harder time smoking it.                    I drank a Rum I picked up at the Duty Free Shop in the Santo Domingo Airport in the Dominican Republic. I couldn't find it anywhere outside the airport. 'Puntacana Espledido', I would compare it to the 23 year old Zacapa from Guatemala. It really brought out the flavours in the cigar.
                   This cigar has gone through a lot of changes over the last year or so. It came from a different box than the first one I tried but the similarities were there and it's coming along very nicely. The bitterness I experienced in the first one is gone now, I didn't experience any at all until the last cm and nothing I wouldn't ordinarily expect from any other cigar. It could still use a little rest in my opinion but I don't think it's peak is too far away. It's a wonderful anytime smoke and would highly recommend these to anyone who gets the opportunity to buy some.


























No comments:

Post a Comment