Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Saturday 14 September 2013

Cafeteria Amelia (for Breakfast) Miramar, Havana

                 In all the trips I've taken to Cuba, breakfast has been one of the most difficult meals to find done in a fashion that we in North America are used to. I know what you're thinking, they can't get any meal right. That hasn't been the case lately in Havana. Restaurants have been opening at an unprecedented rate in the big city with quite a few of them being top notch both in quality of food and service. The 'Cafeteria Amelia' is not one of them but they do make a great breakfast. This spot is a typical Government run establishment but being in the location it's in the decor is on the nicer side. The restaurant is located in the 'Centro de Negocios Miramar' or the 'Miramar Trade Center' which is like what we would consider an outdoor mall. The complex was completed a few years ago and houses an array of eateries, bars and services. This restaurant is only one of many units located in the mall. It's not to be confused with the bar-restaurant of the same name located somewhere else in the mall. The Cafeteria entrance is on the 3ra Ave. side, up the stairs closest to Calle 76, on the right hand side.
                 As I said, it's a Government run restaurant and although the breakfast is great, the service sucks. It takes forever to get a waiter's attention here as with most (if not all) restaurants run by the State. On this occasion it didn't matter, I wasn't in a hurry and didn't mind too much. The place is well lit (surrounded by windows) and looks new. The furnishing aren't the greatest and they certainly don't match the space but I've seen far worse. They have other items on the menu which I probably will never try but the Breakfast is what I came for. I ordered the eggs, which will come sunny side up if you don't ask. If you want them done another way you better ask your waiter because he (or she) won't ask you how you want them. They come with side salad (Really?? Look at the picture below) and toast (which didn't seem toasted at all, just hard). If you want a side meat, as in my case the Chorizo, it's extra and must be ordered. The eggs were done perfectly sunny side up and for my first time here I was happy. I know what to expect for the next time. The two of us had my 2 eggs with toast and side chorizo, a ham and cheese omelette, a milkshake, a papaya juice and a coffee.....all that for $6.25cuc. I think that's great value for what we had. Everything else on the food and beverage menu is priced equally as cheap, just take a look at the pictures below.
                 I don't think I would come from the other part of the city to come and eat here (the taxi costing more than the meal) but renting in the area makes this a go to spot when I'm not in the mood to make my own breakfast. I would recommend you give it a try if you're in the area. The 'Trade Center' or 'Mall' takes up a few blocks, it lies between 3ra & 5ta Ave. & Calle 76-80. You can't miss it, it's across the street from the Hotel Melia Habana and the Hotel Panorama.












No comments:

Post a Comment