Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Monday 17 December 2012

Bollywood (Indian Restaurant) Havana

                  Here is another Paladar that's in the middle of a residential area, in the middle of nowhere. I was really looking forward to visiting this restaurant no matter where it was. It's the only restaurant of it's kind in Cuba and I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's located in a house in a quiet neighbourhood in Nuevo Vedado that shouldn't be too difficult to find. A gentleman in Indian garb greeted us at the front gate. A statue of a Buddha was sitting out in front of the house. The restaurant itself was sparsely decorate but with an Indian theme and incense burning on one of the counters to add to the atmosphere. I was part of a group of 13 people coming together to celebrate someone's birthday and enjoy an evening out in Havana. We had the pleasure of being in the company of AJ Patel and he took care of all the ordering making sure not to order anything spicy, except for a couple of items.
                   I'm not someone who can judge Indian food, I have to be honest. I don't know it well enough but I've eaten my share and had cooked it occasionally in the past. Being part of a large group, we were able to order many dishes and try a little of everything. My concern previously was that the food might have been to spicy for me but it wasn't the case at all. Most everything we ordered wasn't spicy.
                    We started with the Samosas, which were only slightly spicy, the Poppadoms which was like a large thin cracker and potato tuna croquettes. After that, the food took a long time and we were the only table in the house. The place looks like it can do about 24 people (6 tables) but I don't see how they can manage. If you included the rice, we ordered 9 items for our maincourse. Except for the time, everything had been good so far and I was enjoying a cigar while I waited.
                     When the food finally arrived it looked great, it looked like Indian food, it smelled like Indian food and it tasted like it too. The food was worth the wait and I enjoyed everything I tried. Everything is served in it's own pan. This restaurant is a must try if you enjoy Indian food. The more of you that go and the more dishes you can order. The service was pleasant as well, a nice young man with big hair, who spoke English, took care of us.
                    I took a picture of everything we ate and made sure to get the names of all the dishes to match up with the pictures.


Bollywood
Calle 35 no.1361
e/ La Torre y 24
Nuevo Vedado
tel. 883-1216











Poppadoms


Samosas


Potato Tuna Croquettes


Naan


Bollywood Snapper


Fish Maharani


Lamb


Eggplant


Lentils


Rice


Butter Chicken


Tikka Masala Chicken


Curry Chicken











No comments:

Post a Comment